Does anything taste more like spring than blueberries and lemon? These two blend together in these scones to make the perfect companion for a rainy spring afternoon with a good book (or podcast).
Blueberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Curd
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter (frozen)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest of 2 lemons
- 4 egg yolks
- juice of 3 lemons
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- SIft together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Grate frozen butter and mix with dry ingredients and toss in the dry ingredients.
- Combine milk, vanilla, egg, and zest then add to dry ingredients.
- Mix until combined then fold in blueberries.
- Pour the dough onto a floured surface and with floured hands form into a circle. Using a sharp knife or floured bench scraper cut into eight wedges to form them into triangles.
- Place on parchment about 1-2 inches apart and bake 18-25 minutes.
While the scones bake, start making the curd
- Set up a double boiler with 1-2 inches of water. If you don't have a double boiler one can be made with a heat resistant bowl over a pot of 1-2 inches of boiling water
- Separate eggs, and add yolk, lemon juice, sugar, and zest then whisk together and place on the bioling pot.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture beings to thicken (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and mix in butter in cubes.
- Pour into a bowl or jar and cover with plastic wrap right on the surface of the curd. This will prevent a film from forming on the top.
- Allow to cool completely in the fridge. THe curd will continue to thicken as it cools.