I honestly make this almost weekly, especially when Michael is away because it doesn’t take a lot of work, it packs a ton of flavour and it makes about 4-6 servings so I can have meals for a few days. It has a ton of colour as well so it can be pretty beautiful on your Instagram account (I love food porn and make a ton of it myself check out my Instagram @themcgills).
1 cup of dried black beans or 1 can of black beans
1 red pepper, diced
1 can of corn or 1/2 cup frozen or fresh
1 red onion, diced
1 tablespoon of chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 cup basmati rice
- The night before soak the black beans in 6 cups of water. A few hours before assembling dinner drain beans and boil in 6 cups of water for 90 minutes adding water as needed. Drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan fry onion, and red pepper until soft. Add corn and beans until warm.
- While the vegetables are cooking cook rice according to instructions.
- Once rice is cooked mix with vegetables and add spices.
- Once in a bowl too with avocado and tomato, and a squeeze of lime.
Let me know what you think and how you make this recipe your own in the comments bellow!
The “F” Word is a weekly post about all the fun things. On Fridays we will talk about food, fashion, family, friends, faith, fitness and other f words that make life a little brighter.